4 February 2011

Mariska Wright Interview

I'm over in Two Rivers, Alaska this week asking questions to doll maker extraordinaire Mariska Wright how's kindly taken up the interview challenge. Thank you so much for this interesting insight into who you are and your work.

So, Mariska, what's it like where you live?

I live in Two Rivers Alaska, a small community about 30 mile outside of Fairbanks. I live in a land of extreme opposites. Summers are very short but hot with 24 hour daylights, our winters are very cold (-40 / -50 degrees) and a period of no daylight.We have an abundance of wildlife and wilderness. In the winter I spend many sleepless nights waiting for the northern lights to dance in the sky. Photography is one of my passions.
How would your friends describe you in 5 words?

big animal lover, funny, creative, a little crazy but compassionate


Favourite artist/designer or maker and favourite musician or band?

I couldn't realy tell you who my favorite is. If I had to mention some doll artists I would say Jack Johnson, Beth Robinson, Nefer Kane and Loopy Boopy. There are so many amazing artists out there and I really like all kinds of music from rock to classical. It all depends on what mood I am in and what I am working on
What's an ideal day like for you?

Waking up early, good cup of cofee, going outside feeding the cows and the horses, then taking the dogs for a nice walk, coming home to a nice woodfire in the stove and then spending the rest of the day in my studio creating.


Describe your working space?

It's pretty messy. I have never been a very organized person. But I know where everything is. (most of the time)
Any plans for 2011?

I hope I can keep working from home as an artist. We are hoping to finish building our house this year and maybe enjoy a few more luxeries. (indoor plumbing would be nice) You would be suprised how many people here in Alaska live without electricity or running water. I hope to attend the local farmers market again this summer, every Saturday and Sunday. I really enjoy meeting the people that buy my work.


How do you get inspired?

Most of my inspiration comes simply from watching the people around me. Alaska is full of interesting people.
What would you do if you weren't creating your wonderful people?

I have spend most of my life working in animal welfare. I have always worked in animal shelters and veterinary clinics. My artwork has always been an escape from the often depressing reality I had to deal with on a daily basis. I think I would still be doing something in that line of work. Or I would love to work in a garden center.
Where would you most like to visit and why?

I am not a warm weather person and tropical countries are not my cup of tea. There are so many places here in Alaska I would like to visit. I love to explore more of Canada. I would love to visit Nova Scotia, New Foundland and I would love to visit the Isle of Mull


In your life, what are you most proud of?

My dedication to animals


Are you a tea Jenny or a coffee drinker?

Growing up in Holland I used to drink a lot of tea. I do treat myself to a good cup of tea every now and then. But for the most part I am a coffee drinker.
How do you network your work and do you think the new social networking tools have helped you in any way?

I use Etsy and Facebook and it has been great. I think both are a very good way to get your work out there. I have also sent out mass emails with pictures of my work and that has been productive too. I am in the process of setting up a website.

Mariska's links - 

Facebook

Etsy  Under the name of dinjik

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crowdfunder Clay.Coven Ceramics

Just a few more days to go to achieve their dream of bringing the creativity of clay to the local community. And as my lovely friend Tash sa...