4 October 2011

Creative Interviews : withwallpaper

I'm down in Oz for my last question and answer sessions and I'm delighted that Mandy Horne from Adelaide has taken up my challenge.... so let's hear from Mandy.
Whisk
What’s your local area like in terms of supporting creatives
I think it's hard to work as an artist wherever you are & there is never enough support. However, I live in a city that is well known for its many arts festivals and they are very well supported by the whole community here.

Adelaide is also well know for its fine wine and good climate, so the combination of these three things makes it an extremely appealing place for artists to live, although these things can also somewhat distract you from your work!
Toaster
How would you describe yourself in five words
As Popeye would say, I yam what I yam.

Give me the names of 3 objects or things you dislike most and why
I dislike dishonesty, greed and broccoli.
I also dislike bad design.
I guess all of these things are self explanatory as to why I dislike them, but I know some people inexplicably really like broccoli.
Still Life
Tell me about something you've achieved
I'm happy that I work as an artist and have never really deviated from that path.
Sometimes it's a struggle to keep going, but the freedom that comes with is something I couldn't give up now, and it makes me happy.
Bon voyage
What’s your ideal working day
I have no specific routine except to try and achieve something every day. I do get distracted easily and so the challenge is to get to work and stay working.

Who influences you creatively
Other artists from the past, present and no doubt future. There are some amazingly talented and creative people in the world & they inspire me no end.
Pen and Ink
Fav movie - band or book and why
I have far too many to narrow anything down!

Where would you go in the world for inspiration
I'd like to visit any city where there is a Guggenheim museum, for both the art and the culture of the different places.

And I'd really love to go to the Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg. It has a collection of over three million works of art and the building has an incredible history in itself. You would need to spend days there to take it all in.
Keys
What piece of work are you most proud of
The first piece of art I ever sold. I was about 18 years old and had done a large oil painting at art school. It was included in a student exhibition and sold for (what I thought was) quite a lot of money.

Many years later the woman who bought the painting recognised me in a cafe & told me she still loved it and had it hanging over her bed. Selling my first piece to someone who appreciated it so much has always encouraged me to keep going as an artist.
Flying Fish
What would you like to develop further or learn to do
I'd actually like to go back to using some of the printmaking techniques I learned at art school - especially lithography and screen printing. It's very satisfying to get ink on your hands, and I'd love to develop some of my work into fabric designs.
Lyrebird
Who do you think I should interview next
There is an English printmaker living in Sydney, Kate Banazi, who does great silkscreen prints or American artist Vivienne Strauss - I love the humour in her work.
Kate Banazi
Vivienne Strauss
Thanks so much Mandy for taking the time to do this - would love to think that I could meet you the next time I'm in Oz and there's always a kettle on the boil if you're ever in Scotland.

WEBSITE & PRINT SHOP

ETSY SHOP

TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crowdfunder Clay.Coven Ceramics

Just a few more days to go to achieve their dream of bringing the creativity of clay to the local community. And as my lovely friend Tash sa...